Tuesday 27 December 2011

Preparation

If there's one thing I know about myself it is that I over think things, I over stress about things and therefore am, 12 days before my departure to India, in panic mode. Will I forget something? Will I have everything I need in time? Will my boyfriend remeber to feed the cats?! With all these thoughts bouncing around my head I do the only thing I know to sort them out; I write a list. I say 'a' list, what I mean is a write five! And I feel somewhat better for it.

I am very excited with only 12 days to go until my departure and I feel fully ready to embrace a new way of life and a new culture as well as new people and experiences. I am there to help the people of my new community and I am there to grow myself. I will be working as part of an organisation in Koraput, India called SOVA (South Orissa Voluntary Action). I have accepted that I am not going to change the world but if I can make a small bit of difference to even one persons life I will be happy. I won't however be content as I am hoping I can help a community.

I am going to India thanks to an opportunity from Skillshare International and organisation that works within International Citizen Service (ICS), which is part of the Department for International Development. "Each project is designed to bring about lasting change for very poor communities, and volunteers will have the opportunity to contribute directly to this change ."

No comments:

Post a Comment